Winterhaven School 5th Grade Student Web Page (2.6)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
The pen pal letters arrived!
18- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day- NO SCHOOL
Classroom topics for week beginning January 4, 2010 ( 二〇〇十年 一月 四日）
Math: Investigation 1- Bees and Polygons
• Sort shapes according to some special properties and describe these properties
• Introduce students to rotation and reflection symmetries of figures
• Decide what shapes will tile a surface and what common properties these shapes may have.
Humanities: Civics and Government-The founding of America
Systems Thinking: Finish Positive Change group projects by Tuesday and present on Thursday.
Japanese: Lesson 14 Hiragana, Lessons 3 Conversation. Writing a Haibun (set of 5 haiku).
Math: ACE, 1–5 required, 17–25 extra credit, due Tuesday
ACE, 6–11 required, 26–27, 29–33 extra credit, due Wednesday
ACE, 12–16 required, 28, 34–36 extra credit, due Thursday
Japanese: Hiragana Lesson 14, study for Friday’s test. Haibun, set of 5 haiku in English, final draft due Wednesday
Systems Thinking: Positive Change Project work, group projects are to be completed by Tuesday and will be presented on Thursday. Prepare and practice for Thursdays presentation.
Systems Thinking Projects: The six steps
- tell the story (Mind Mapping)
- name the elements (What is changing within the system?)
- sketch behaviors over time (BOTG’s)
- make the system visible (Connection Circle)
- look for leverage (Causal Loops)
- share & test (Tinker, Successive Approximation)