4.1: April 15-19
4.15 Author Visit: Susan Fletcher
4.17 Two Hour Late Start
4.26 Glass Art with Kurumi Conley, $10-$15 donation for materials (scholarships available upon request)
4.30 Write Night 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. cancelled
5.2 Taiko Workshop with sixth graders: Journey Together, 9:00 a.m.
5.9 Japanese Garden Field Trip- drivers wanted
5.15 Two Hour Late Opening
5.22 Fifth Grade Performance, 1:15 p.m. and 7:00 p.m..
5.27 Memorial Day- No School
5.31 Field of Fun
6.14 Big Chautauqua, 9:30-11:00 (date subject to change)
This week in…
Tools: bow compass, ruler, mechanical pencil
1. Interior and exterior angles in regular polygons
2. The equilateral triangle; interior and exterior angles
3. Constructing triangles with given dimensions with a compass and ruler.
4. The tetrahedron; construction from equilateral triangles
– Artist in residence group planning, three groups will be assigned; play, documentary, and art exhibit
Reading: We the People
Lesson 1: What were the British Colonies in America like in the 1770’s?
Lesson 2: Why did the founders believe that people needed government?
Watson’s Go to Birmingham (Chapters 8-12)
race and racism in America (Jim Crow)
• structure generates behavior
• changing perspective to increase understanding
• Archetype- Tragedy of the commons
• Leverage points
Data tables and graphs demonstrating growth over time
Building on success
Planning on the grid
Distributing responsibility- many hands make light work
Stacking functions- each part must surve multiple functions