4.3: April 29- May 3
5.2 Taiko Workshop with sixth graders: Journey Together, 9:00 a.m.
5.6 Fifth grade systems thinking presentation at school board meeting, 6:00 p.m.. BESC Directions
5.9 Japanese Garden Field Trip- drivers wanted, $3 donation, depart Winterhaven at 9:30, return to Winterhaven at 12:00
5.15 Two Hour Late Opening
5.22 Fifth Grade Performance, 1:15 p.m. and 7:00 p.m..
5.27 Memorial Day- No School
5.31 Field of Fun
6.14 Big Chautauqua, 9:30-11:00
This week in…
Preparation for Monday’s School Board Meeting, 6:00 p.m. at BESC (May 6)
Topics: Waste reduction, water catchment and conservation, permaculture, place making, aquaponics, locavore, vermicomposting, and botany.
Data About Us
Investigation 1: Looking at Data
1.3: Experimenting with Median
1.4: Using Different DataTypes
1.5: Vertical Bar Graphs and Horizontal Bar Graphs
Investigation 2: Using Graphs to Explore Data
2.1: Making a Stem-and-Leaf-Plot
Geometry- Triangles continued
Tools: bow compass, ruler, mechanical pencil
1. Interior and exterior angles in regular polygons
2. The equilateral triangle; interior and exterior angles
3. Constructing triangles with given dimensions with a compass and ruler.
4. The tetrahedron; construction from equilateral triangles
ひらがな writing practice：うえをむいてあるこう
ふるいけや ５ (old pond)
かわずとびこむ ７ (frog jumps in)
みずのおと ５ (water’s sound)
Themes: nature, seasons, feelings, observations 6 senses
Onomatopoeia- phonetic imitation of sounds
– Artist in residence group planning, three groups will be assigned; play, documentary, and art exhibit
– Planning/Idea Sharing (Concept: Regeneration, beyond sustainability)
Reading: We the People
Unit Two: How Did the Framers Write Our Constitution?
Lesson 7 What was the first national government like?
Lesson 8 How was the Philadelphia Convention organized?
Lesson 9 How many representatives should each state have in Congress?
Lesson 10 What did the Framers do about the problem of slavery?
Chapter 2: The Pride of Your Power
Chapter 3: An Earth of Brass
Chapter 4: The Rising Eye
1. Maintenance list: preventing degeneration
2. Data tables and graphs demonstrating growth over time: enabling regeneration to occur
1. Needs and Yields-visible and invisible
2. Planning on the grid: symbiotic relationships, soil, and place
3. Distributing responsibility equitably- many hands make light work
4. Stacking functions- each part must serve multiple functions