1.5: October 7-10
10.9 Bull Run Watershed Field Trip, 8:45-2:45
Dress for and expect rain, bring a healthy
sack lunch. No garbage left at Bull Run watershed, we must take it with us. Reusable containers preferred.
10.11 No School- Teacher Inservice
10.16 Two Hour Late Opening
11.8 No school- Teacher Planning Day
11.11 No School Veterans’ Day
11.21 Parent/Teacher Conferences 4:00 p.m. -8:00 p.m.
11.25 Parent/Teacher Conferences 8:00 a.m. -8:00 p.m.
11.26 Parent/Teacher Conferences 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
12.5 Science Fair – Grades 5-8 – 5 pm to 7 pm
This week in…
• Skeleton Arrays
• Sketching arrays and partial products
• Multiplication story problems
• Double digit multiplication with pictures and numbers
• Using multiplication algorithms
Green Teams measurement challenge-
“Show” your group project using the communication tool called “mathematics”. What do we need to reduce? (Identify all waste) What do we need to accumulate? (turning waste into resources)
• From Farm to Factory
• The Grain Elevator
• The Feedlot- Turning Corn into Meat
• Processed Food
• Green Team Group Work: Identifying leverage points and designing scientific investigations directly related to our green team projects
• Permaculture Ethics and Principles we will be using to help us reduce every kind of waste during the design process in our green team work.
• Bull Run Watershed- Letting Nature and Gravity do all the work.
The Four C’s: Clean, Cold, Cheap, and Constant
• Science Fair part 1
2. Hypothesis (written and graphed)
3. Background Information (observations and research, real world problem being solved)
Writing and Translation Practice
Listening and speaking practice:
A-san: Excuse me, are you Japanese?
sumimasen, anata wa nihonjindesuka.
B-san: No, I’m American.
iie, watashi ha amerika-jin desu.
A-san: Do you understand Japanese?
nihongo ga wakarimasuka.
B-san: Yes, I understand a little Japanese. Do you understand English.
hai, sukoshi nihongo ga wakarimasu. eigo ga wakarimasuka.
A-san: Sorry, no I do not understand English.
sumimasen, iie eigo ga wakarimasen.