2.2: November 21- December 2, 2016
“The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the universe, the less taste we shall have for destruction.” Rachael Carson
“You don’t have a slug problem, you have a duck deficiency” -Bill Mollison
14: Wizard of Oz field trip, 9:30-1:30, Northwest Children’s Theatre and School
Cost: $7.00, payable to Winterhaven School, scholarships available (includes ticket and bus fare)
17: Winter Break Begins- No School (December 17-January 2)
2: New Year’s Day Observed– No School
16: Martin Luther King Jr Day– No School
18: 2- hr late opening
26: K-8 Science Fair, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
27: End of Quarter #2, Teacher Planning Day- No School
Grade 5 Module 2: Multi-Digit Whole Number and Decimal Fraction Operations
• Lesson 19: Objective: Divide two- and three-digit dividends by multiples of 10 with single-digit quotients and make connections to a written method.
• Lesson 20: Objective: Divide two- and three-digit dividends by two-digit divisors with single-digit quotients and make connections to a written method.
• Lesson 21: Objective: Divide two- and three-digit dividends by two-digit divisors with single-digit quotients and make connections to a written method.
• Lesson 22: Objective: Divide three- and four-digit dividends by two-digit divisors resulting in two- and three-digit quotients, reasoning about the decomposition of successive remainders in each place value.
Math Enrichment Concepts:
Using math (measurement) to increase understanding of the real world
-Scale model of the solar system, size and distance. Conversions from metric to standard and standard to metric, use of exponents.
-Fibonacci pattern in tree limbs and pine cones
Science Fair Page
Schedule and due dates
Part 1: Due Friday, December 2, 2016
Journal- Set up your journal in preparation to record observations throughout all parts of the project. Journals should include; written descriptions, labeled sketches, data tables and graphs, questions, ideas, and problems. Use your journal daily!
Background Information– Why did you choose your question? Where did you get the idea? What real world application does it have? What science did you learn about your project/topic through research? Conduct research from a variety of sources (i.e. experts, research articles, web pages, books). Sources must be cited.
Question- Your inquiry question must have a independent variable (x-axis) and an dependent variable (y-axis).
note: the independent variable is the variable you change in the experiment while the dependent variable is the corresponding measurement.
Hypothesis- This is your “educated”, predicted outcome of the inquiry. You will need to explain your thinking and reasoning in detail. A graph of your hypothesis would be a good visual to go along with your written explanation. Don’t forget the independent variable (x-axis) and an dependent variable (y-axis).
Part 3: The Local, Sustainable meal
15. The Slaughterhouse
16. The Market
17. The Local Sustainable Meal
The Clever Thief- A Tale from Korea
Hound and Hunter– Winslow Homer
The Case of the Mummified Pigs
The Mystery of the Ant-Plant’s Army
The Lorax Returns
Whole Class Activity:
Students will choose titles for the five scenes, then begin writing and doing the math and science on the five scenes. Small Group work:
Students will integrate systems thinking and permaculture principles into the story.
Each scene will have a theme that contributes to our over all goal. To be determined.
What would Dr. Seuss want us to do? Is the problem the solution?
• Developing a heart or core message then communicate through visual mathematics
• Use Fibonacci pattern, exponential growth snowballs, and diversity to assure resiliency
• Stock and Flow models, BOTG’s, connection circles, causal loops, and mental models
2.2 Katakana practice (quiz on Friday, December 2)
Dialogue practice (quiz on Friday, December 2)
とけい(clock), えんぴつ(pencil), かみ(paper), ぺん(pen),
つくえ(desk), いす(chair), ほん(book), ほっちきす(stapler)
うえ(on) なか(in) した(under)
ぺんはにほんごでなんですか。What is pen in Japanese?
えんぴつはえいごでなんですか。What is enpitsu in English?
pencil です。It’s pencil.
みずをのんでもいいですか。Can I get a drink of water please?
おてあらいにいってもいいでうか。Can I go wash my hands please?
ほんは、どこですか。Where is the book?
ほんは、つくえのうえにあります. The book is on the desk
ほっちきすは、どこですか。Where is the stapler?
ほっちきすは、つくえのなかにあります。The staple is in the desk.
えんぴつは、どこですか。Where is the pencil?
えんぴつは、つくえのしたにあります. The pencil is under the desk.
なんじですか。What time is it?
なんがつ、なんにちですか。What month and day is it?
１１がつ２４にちです。It’s November 24.
あなたのたんじょうびはいつですか。When is your birthday?
４がつ１８にちです。It’s April 18th.
がっこうのでんわばんごうはなんですか。What’s the schools phone number?