3.7: March 20-24, 2017
Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential.
24: Garden Work Party, 3:00-5:00 p.m..
Many hands make light work
27-31: Spring Break- No School
14: MAC Attack Run (Sponsor sheets due April 11)
21: Earth Day Celebration and Performance, 10:00 a.m. (Morning performance only)
State Testing Schedule for Fifth Grade
May 8, 2017: Science
Week of May 15, 2017: Math
Week of May 22, 2017: Reading
General testing and opting Out Information
This week in…
Grade 5 Module 4: Multiplication and Division of Fractions and Decimal Fractions
1. Khan Academy
Module 4: Topic E: Multiplication of a fraction by a fraction. Supports Lessons 13-20
• Lesson 17: Objective: Relate decimal and fraction multiplication. due Tuesday
• Lesson 18: Objective: Relate decimal and fraction multiplication. due Wednesday
• Lesson 19: Objective: Convert measures involving whole numbers, and solve multi-step word problems. due Thursday
• Lesson 20: Objective: Convert mixed unit measurements, and solve multi-step word problems. Math Homework due Friday
3. Systems Thinking Project Teams: Using math (measurement) to increase understanding of the real world and to understand and reduce waste. Ongoing. Telling stories by the numbers.
4. Math Games: Math 24- Multiplying, Dividing, Adding, and Subtracting Fractions; order of operations p.e.m.d.a.s.
- Chapter 8: From China to Gold Mountain
- Chapter 9: Dealing with the Indians
- Chapter 10: The Japanese and “Money Trees”
- Chapter 11: Jews are Pushed from Russia
Genre- Nonfiction: Informational
*Please be prepared every day
Classroom Law Project
Trial # 2: Criminal Trial
The Case of the Mummified Pigs
• The Lorax Returns Script due on Friday March 24
Whole Class Activity:
-Students will read our scripts rough draft and develop lines for characters
Small Group work:
-Students will propose essential systems thinking and permaculture principles into the story.
What would Dr. Seuss want us to do? Is the problem the solution?
• Developing a heart or core message then communicate through visual mathematics
• Use Fibonacci pattern, exponential growth snowballs, and diversity to assure resiliency
• Stock and Flow models, BOTG’s, connection circles, causal loops, and mental models
• Integrate the wisdom of Buckminster Fuller, Rachel Carson, Albert Einstein, and George Washington Carver