4.3: April 24-28, 2017
See testing schedule and link below
19: Spring Carnival, 5:00-8:00 p.m.
25: Move Up Day, 8:45-9:30
25: Japanese Garden Field Trip, Depart Winterhaven at 9:40, Return at 12:00. Drivers wanted!
Volunteer Background Check
Driver Qualification Form PDF (Turn in to Office)
26: Field of Fun, 1:00-3:00 p.m.
State Testing Schedule for Fifth Grade
May 8, 2017: Science
Week of May 15, 2017: Math
Week of May 22, 2017: Reading
General Testing and Opting Out Information
This week in…
Grade 5- Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area
1. Khan Academy
Module 5: Topic A: Concepts of Volume
2. EngageNY (Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area)
• Lesson 1: Objective: Explore volume by building with and counting unit cubes. Homework due Tuesday
• Lesson 2: Objective: Find the volume of a right rectangular prism by packing with cubic units and counting. Homework due Wednesday
• Lesson 3: Objective: Compose and decompose right rectangular prisms using layers. Homework due Thursday
• Lesson 4: Objective: Use multiplication to calculate volume. No Math Homework due Friday
3. Systems Thinking Project Teams: Using math (measurement) to increase understanding of the real world and to understand and reduce waste. Ongoing. Telling stories by the numbers.
4. Math Games: Math 24- Multiplying, Dividing, Adding, and Subtracting Fractions; order of operations p.e.m.d.a.s.
1. Independent Reading
*Please be prepared every day
2. Whole class book
Different Mirror- Ronald Takaki
• Chapter 17: We Will All Be Minorities
World Without Fish- Mark Kurlansky
• Chapter 1: Being a Short Exposition About What Could Happen and How it Would Happen (page 1)
• Chapter 2: Being the True Story of How Humans First Began to Fish and How Fishing Became an Industry (page 21)
• Chapter 3: Being the Sad, Cautionary Tale of the Orange Roughy (page 39)
• Chapter 4: Being the Myth of Nature’s Bounty and How Scientists Got it Wrong for Many Years (page 51)