4.4: May 1-5, 2017
Knowing what I do, there would be no future peace for me if I kept silent.
State Testing Schedule for Fifth Grade
Week of May 8, 2017: Science
Week of May 15, 2017: Math
Week of May 22, 2017: Reading
General Testing and Opting Out Information
19: Spring Carnival, 5:00-8:00 p.m.
24: Grades 3-5 Spring Music Concert – 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
25: Move Up Day, 8:45-9:30
25: Japanese Garden Field Trip, Depart Winterhaven at 9:40, Return at 12:00. Drivers wanted!
Volunteer Background Check (online)
Driver Qualification Form PDF (Turn in to Office)
26: Field of Fun, 1:00-3:00 p.m.
29: Memorial Day- No School
14: School Picnic
15: Big Chautauqua 9:30-10:30
This week in…
Grade 5- Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area
1. Khan Academy
Module 5: Topic B: Volume and the Operations of Multiplication and Addition
2. EngageNY (Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area)
• Lesson 5: Objective: Use multiplication to connect volume as packing with volume as filling.. Homework due Tuesday
• Lesson 6: Objective: Find the total volume of solid figures composed of two non-overlapping rectangular prisms. Homework due Wednesday
• Lesson 7: Objective: Solve word problems involving the volume of rectangular prisms with whole number edge lengths. Homework due Thursday
• Lesson 8: Objective: Apply concepts and formulas of volume to design a sculpture using rectangular prisms within given parameters. No Math Homework due Friday
3. Systems Thinking Project Teams: Using math (measurement) to increase understanding of the real world and to understand and reduce waste. Ongoing. Telling stories by the numbers.
4. Math Games: Math 24- Multiplying, Dividing, Adding, and Subtracting Fractions; order of operations p.e.m.d.a.s.
1. Independent Reading
Genre- Fantasy recommended, free choice chapter book okay
*Please be prepared every day
2. Whole class book
Different Mirror- Ronald Takaki
• Chapter 17: We Will All Be Minorities
World Without Fish- Mark Kurlansky
• Chapter 3: Being the Sad, Cautionary Tale of the Orange Roughy (page 39)
• Chapter 4: Being the Myth of Nature’s Bounty and How Scientists Got it Wrong for Many Years (page 51)
Hurricane on the Bayou connection circle
• weather, industry causal loop.
• regeneration planning (designing sustainable and thriving biological systems)
学 gaku, learn
気 ki, spirit
休 yasumu, rest
玉 tama, ball
金 kin, gold
九 kyu, nine
空 sora, sky
月 tsuki, moon
犬 inu, dog
見 miru, look
五 go, five
口 kuchi, mouth
校 kou, school
左 hidari, left
三 san, three
山 yama, mountain
子 ko, child
四 yon, four
糸 ito, string
字 ji, character