4.5: May 8-12, 2017
State Testing Schedule for Fifth Grade
Week of May 8, 2017: Science (Monday 9:30-10:30)
Week of May 15, 2017: Math (Monday, Tuesday, 9:30-10:30; Wednesday TBA)
Week of May 22, 2017: Reading (Monday, Tuesday, 9:30-10:30; Wednesday TBA)
General Testing and Opting Out Information
19: Spring Carnival, 5:00-8:00 p.m.
24: Grades 3-5 Spring Music Concert – 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
25: Move Up Day, (time change now 2:15-2:45)
25: Japanese Garden Field Trip, Depart Winterhaven at 9:40, Return at 12:00. Drivers wanted!
Volunteer Background Check (online)
Driver Qualification Form PDF (Turn in to Office)
26: Field of Fun, 1:00-3:00 p.m.
29: Memorial Day- No School
14: School Picnic
15: Big Chautauqua 9:30-10:30
This week in…
Grade 5- Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area
1. Khan Academy
Module 5: Topic C: Area of Rectangular Figures with Fractional Side Lengths
2. EngageNY (Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area)
• Lesson 8: Objective: Apply concepts and formulas of volume to design a sculpture using rectangular prisms within given parameters. Homework Due Tuesday
• Lesson 9: Objective: Apply concepts and formulas of volume to design a sculpture using rectangular prisms within given parameters. Homework due Wednesday
• Lesson 10: Objective: Find the area of rectangles with whole-by-mixed and whole-by-fractional number side lengths by tiling, record by drawing, and relate to fraction multiplication. Homework due Thursday
• Lesson 11: Objective: Find the area of rectangles with mixed-by-mixed and fraction-by-fraction side lengths by tiling, record by drawing, and relate to fraction multiplication. No Homework due on Friday
3. Systems Thinking Project
Pechakucha 20×20: positive change project using measurement to show change over time.
4. Math Games: Math 24- Multiplying, Dividing, Adding, and Subtracting Fractions; order of operations p.e.m.d.a.s.
10. Math 24
1. Independent Reading
Genre- Fantasy recommended, free choice chapter book okay
*Please be prepared every day
2. Whole class book
Different Mirror- Ronald Takaki
• Essay: Why did Ronald Takaki write A Different Mirror
World Without Fish- Mark Kurlansky
• Chapter 4: Being the Myth of Nature’s Bounty and How Scientists Got it Wrong for Many Years (page 51)
• Chapter 5: Being a Concise History of the Politics of Fish
• Chapter 6: Being an Examination of Why We Can’t Simply Stop Fishing
How do we create a self sustaining garden system?
What are our two gardens needs and yields?
How is energy transferring in our garden?
Identify Fungi, plants and insects that recycle garden matter
• weather, industry causal loop.
• regeneration planning (designing sustainable and thriving biological systems)
学 gaku, learn
気 ki, spirit
休 yasumu, rest
玉 tama, ball
金 kin, gold
九 kyu, nine
空 sora, sky
月 tsuki, moon
犬 inu, dog
見 miru, look
五 go, five
口 kuchi, mouth
校 kou, school
左 hidari, left
三 san, three
山 yama, mountain
子 ko, child
四 yon, four
糸 ito, string
字 ji, character