4.7: May 23-26, 2017
Care for the Earth.
Care for the People.
Return the surplus to Earth and people (fair share).
Note from Ms. VanEngel
Is there someone who would have time Wed. 5/24 to pick up 2 large bunches of balloons (decoration) for our Concert? We would like to have them before 1pm.
We can reimburse you. Please contact Miss VanEngel the music teacher if this is something you are able to help with. Thanks so much!
•The dunk tank and cookie sale raised $1,100, a new record by $440. Way to go fifth graders! Thanks for caring so much. Many hands make light work! Can’t wait to shop for new garden equipment and plants. What should we get?
JAPANESE GARDEN FIELD TRIP, Thursday, May 25.
• Field trip drivers, Thank you!
Please be in front of room 23 at 9:30. Students will go over Japanese garden etiquette; go slow, be silent, be observant, be grateful. And guiding questions- How does the garden represent Japan? How does the garden represent Portland? What are some characteristics of each of the five gardens within Portland’s Japanese Gardens.
We will depart Winterhaven at 9:40. Pay Japanese Garden parking meters for 1:45 or 2:00 upon arrival. We will meet at the Japanese garden upper gate ready to go at 10:00. As soon as you exit the cars students must exhibit Japanese garden etiquette.
We will tour (self-guided) the Washington Park Rose Garden and Shakespeare Garden and depart at 11:40. Students will go to recess upon return until lunch begins at 12:05.
State Testing Schedule for Fifth Grade
Week of May 8, 2017: Science (Monday 9:30-10:30) Completed
Week of May 15, 2017: Math (Monday, Tuesday, 9:30-10:30; Wednesday 1:00-2:00) Completed
Week of May 22, 2017: Reading (Monday, Tuesday, 9:30-10:30; Wednesday 1:00-2:00)
General Testing and Opting Out Information
24: Grades 3-5 Spring Music Concert – 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
25: Move Up Day, (time change now 2:15-2:45) schedule change see June 8
25: Japanese Garden Field Trip, Depart Winterhaven at 9:40, Return at 12:00. Drivers wanted!
Volunteer Background Check (online)
Driver Qualification Form PDF (Turn in to Office)
26: Field of Fun, 1:00-3:00 p.m.
29: Memorial Day- No School
8: Move up day, 2:15-2:45
14: School Picnic
15: Big Chautauqua 9:30-10:30
This week in…
Smarter Balanced Math assessment – Monday through Wednesday
Grade 5- Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area
1. Khan Academy
Module 5: Topic D: Quadrilateral Review
2. EngageNY (Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area)
• Lesson 15: Objective: Solve real world problems involving area of figures with fractional side lengths using visual models and/or equations. Math Homework due Tuesday
• Lesson 16: Objective: Draw trapezoids to clarify their attributes, and define trapezoids based on those attributes. Homework Due Wednesday
• Lesson 17: Objective: Draw parallelograms to clarify their attributes, and define parallelograms based on those attributes. No Homework due Thursday
3. Systems Thinking Project
Pechakucha 20×20: positive change project using systems thinking tools and measurement to show change over time.
Use at least Three of the following systems thinking tools
1. Behavior over time graphs
2. Stock and Flow Model
3. Connection Circles
4. Causal Loops
5. Ladder of Inference
6. Ice-berg model
4. Math Games: Math 24- Multiplying, Dividing, Adding, and Subtracting Fractions; order of operations p.e.m.d.a.s.
Hands on games (social interaction)
1. Independent Reading
Genre- Fantasy recommended, free choice chapter book okay
*Please be prepared every day
2. Whole class book
Different Mirror- Ronald Takaki
• Essay: Why did Ronald Takaki write A Different Mirror
World Without Fish- Mark Kurlansky
• Chapter 4: Being the Myth of Nature’s Bounty and How Scientists Got it Wrong for Many Years (page 51)
• Chapter 5: Being a Concise History of the Politics of Fish
• Chapter 6: Being an Examination of Why We Can’t Simply Stop Fishing
How do we create a self sustaining garden system?
What are our two gardens needs and yields?
How is energy transferring in our garden?
Identify Fungi, plants and insects that recycle garden matter
• weather, industry causal loop.
• regeneration planning (designing sustainable and thriving biological systems)
学 gaku, learn
気 ki, spirit
休 yasumu, rest
玉 tama, ball
金 kin, gold
九 kyu, nine
空 sora, sky
月 tsuki, moon
犬 inu, dog
見 miru, look
五 go, five
口 kuchi, mouth
校 kou, school
左 hidari, left
三 san, three
山 yama, mountain
子 ko, child
四 yon, four
糸 ito, string
字 ji, character
耳 mimi, ear
七 nana, seven
車 kuruma, car
手 te, hand
十 ju, ten
出 deru, out
女 onna, women
小 chiisai, small
上 ue, up
森 mori, forest
人 hito, people
水 mizu, water
正 tadasii, correct
生 ikiru, arrive
青 ao, blue
夕 yu, evening
石 ishi, rock
赤 aka, red
千 sen, thouthand
川 kawa, river