4.1: April 1, 2019
- Please help us in the garden by donating a plant or two for our food forest. Just bring it to school and we will plant it in the garden immediately. Here are a few suggestions that would make a big impact; blueberries, huckleberries, salal, sword ferns, and Oregon grape. Thank you!
- Portland Nursery , Boskey Dell Natives (great place to explore), or your favorite local garden spot. We are ready to plant anytime!
8: No School- End of Third Quarter/Teacher Planning Day
18: MAC Attack Run
Sponsor forms returned to teacher by Monday, April 15
Sponsor Forms returned to teacher by Wednesday, May 1
22: Earth Day (Fifth grade in-school presentation, time TBA)
1: State Testing Begins, Math, Language Arts, Science
Opt out information
17: Winterhaven PTSA Carnival, 5:00-8:00
23: Japanese Garden Field Trip, 10:00-12:30
24: Field Day
27: No School- Memorial Day
10: School PicNic
11: Big Chautauqua, 10:00-11:00
THIS WEEK IN …
Module 4: Multiplication and Division of Fractions and Decimal Fractions
Topic G: Division of fractions and decimal fractions
• Lesson 30 & Lesson 31 : Divide decimal dividends by non‐unit decimal divisors.
Khan Academy Topic G: Division of fractions and decimal fractions
Topic H: Interpretation of numerical expressions
• Lesson 32 Objective: Interpret and evaluate numerical expressions including the language of scaling and fraction division.
• Lesson 33 Objective: Create story contexts for numerical expressions and tape diagrams, and solve word problems.
Khan Academy: Interpretation of numerical expression
Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area
Topic A: Concepts of Volume
• Lesson 1 Concepts of Volume
Khan Academy: Concepts of volume
Enrichment: All four operations with fractions and decimal fractions
• Math 24
Life Science Ecosystems
****PLASTIC BOTTLE REQUEST!****
(We still need 12 more plastic bottles)
I wanted to give you a heads-up that students will be making “ecosystems in a bottle” for Lesson 3 in the unit. In order for this lesson to be successful, students need to bring in empty and clean 1, 1.5, or 2-liter clear plastic bottles, with lids. Each student pair will need two bottles of the same size.
Please bring in your bottle or bottles by Friday. Thank you!
Life Science: Ecosystems (interdependent systems)
• Lesson A (pre-unit): Systems Overview- components of an ecosystem
• Lesson B (pre unit): Is it living? Biotic and abiotic interaction
• Lesson 1: Phenomenon: developing a model of a system that includes a phenomenon.
Winterhaven Food Forest
• Botanists- Plant assignments given to garden team members of food forest or native garden. Focus: plant needs (light, heat, moisture, shade, ground cover and soil pH) for blueberries, huckleberries, salalberries, sword ferns, Oregon grape.
Getting to know your Atlas: Lessons 4-7
Reviewing Basic Skills:
– Location and Distance
– Reference and Thematic Maps
– Graphs and Special Maps
A Different Mirror for Young Readers
by Ronald Takaki
11. Japanese and “Money Trees”
12. Jews Are Pushed from Russia
How do corporations profit from making their waste the customers responsibility? In what ways is our acceptance of this harmful?
Earth Day Poetry
• Where I am From stanza
• Poetry dedicated to a positive change maker
• Haiku and Tanka
3.1: 一 右 雨 円 王 音 下 火 花 貝 review
3.2: 学 気 休 玉 金 九 空 月 犬 見 review
3.3: 五 口 校 左 三 山 子 四 糸 字 review
3.4: 耳 七 車 手 十 出 女 小 上 森 review
3.5: 人 水 正 生 青 夕 石 赤 千 川 review
3.6: 先 早 草 足 村 大 男 竹 中 虫 review
3.7: 町 天 田 土 二 日 入 年 白 八 review
3.8: 百 文 木 本 名 目 立 力 林 六 review