1.4: September 16-20, 2019
Parent volunteers for next Thursday’s field trip need to fill out the online Parent Volunteer Background Verification ASAP. We will depart at 9:00 a.m. sharp, bring a lunch, dress for rain and cold, hopefully we will luck out. Remember it rains at the watershed even when it is sunny in Portland. Bull Run Watershed annual rainfall: approximately 130 inches. Portland’s annual rain fall approximately 40 inches.
20: Picture Day
26: Bull Run Watershed Field Trip, free field trip, transportation provided, bring a sack lunch. Parent Volunteer Background Verification
11: No School- Teacher In-service Day
01: No School: Teacher Planning Day (End of First Quarter)
25: No School- Conferences (schedule is in the main office)
26: No School- Conferences (schedule is in the main office)
27-29: No School- Thanksgiving Break
6: OMSI Field Trip: Cow eye dissection, Movie-National Parks, and featured exhibit TBA. Transportation by Tri-met, bring a sack lunch. Cost: students $20, chaperones $15. Please pay using SchoolPay or by requesting a scholarship.
23: Winter Break Begins (December 21-January 5)
20: No School: MLK, Jr. Birthday celebrated (Born January 15, 1929)
27: No School: Teacher Planning Day (End of Second Quarter)
30: K-8 Science Fair: 5:00-7:00 p.m..
This Week In…
EngageNY & Zearn
Module One: Place Value and Decimal Fractions
Topic E: Multiplying decimals
• Lesson 11: Objective: Multiply a decimal fraction by single-digit whole numbers, relate to a written method through application of the area model and place value understanding, and explain the reasoning used.
• Lesson 12: Objective: Multiply a decimal fraction by single-digit whole numbers, including using estimation to confirm the placement of the decimal point.
Khan Academy: Topic E: Multiplying decimals
Topic F: Dividing decimals
• Lesson 13: Objective: Divide decimals by single-digit whole numbers involving easily identifiable multiples using place value understanding and relate to a written method.
• Lesson 14: Objective: Divide decimals with a remainder using place value understanding and relate to a written method.
• Lesson 15: Objective: Divide decimals using place value understanding, including remainders in the smallest unit.
Khan Academy: Topic F: Dividing decimals
Writing: Autobiography (Personal Narrative)
This is a four week project.
-Before we begin lets share stories we heard from others and unusual experiences we may have had.
Part 1: Introduction (one paragraph)
1. The Hook – Start your essay with a statement about the story that grabs your reader’s
attention. You may want it to be a little vague to get the reader curious like, “It was all going
downhill, and I couldn’t stop it.” Or you may want to dive in with dialogue. Your hook should
not be a rhetorical question; the best hooks don’t ask questions. Ex: “It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.” ~Dickens
Mentor text: Through My Eyes -Ruby Bridges
Part 2: Three supporting paragraphs aligned with your thesis statement.
Focus: Topic sentences and transitions
What is the difference between showing and telling in your writing?
Whole Class: I Am Malala
By Yousafzai Malala
PART ONE: BEFORE THE TALIBAN
1 A Daughter Is Born
2 My Father the Falcon
3 Growing up in a School
4 The Village
5 Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You
6 Children of the Rubbish Mountain
7 The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School
8 The Autumn of the Earthquake
Biography or Autobiography of your choice
Please bring a book from the Multnomah County Public Library, Winterhaven’s Library(Open from this week), home, borrow from a friend or sibling, or a book store.
• Systems Thinking- Ecology
• Black Soldier Fly Larvae Inquiries
Part 1: Background, Question with Independent Variable and Dependent Variable
Part 2: Design the Investigation: Materials List and Procedures
Part 3: Data (Table and Graph of data)
• Numbers 1-99
romaji (i•chi, ni, sa•n, yo•n, go, ro•ku, na•na, ha•chi, kyu•u, jyu•u)
あいうえお と かきくけこ
さしすせそ と たちつてと
• Conversation- brief self-introduction
• Is it okay if I go wash my hands?
• Is it okay if I get a drink of water?