1.5: September 22-26, 2019
View from dam number 1 at Bull Run watershed
26: Bull Run Watershed Field Trip, free field trip, transportation provided, bring a sack lunch or request from cafeteria. Be prepared for rain and cold, BRWS gets four times the rain we get in Portland. Will will depart at 9:00 a.m. sharp!
1. Bull Run watershed liability waiver (REQUIRED) please sign and return
2. bring a lunch
3. Dress for rain and cold
11: No School- Teacher In-service Day
01: No School: Teacher Planning Day (End of First Quarter)
25: No School- Conferences (schedule is in the main office)
26: No School- Conferences (schedule is in the main office)
27-29: No School- Thanksgiving Break
6: OMSI Field Trip: Cow eye dissection, Movie-National Parks, and featured exhibit TBA. Transportation by Tri-met, bring a sack lunch. Cost: students $20, chaperones $15. Please pay using SchoolPay or by requesting a scholarship.
23: Winter Break Begins (December 21-January 5)
20: No School: MLK, Jr. Birthday celebrated (Born January 15, 1929)
27: No School: Teacher Planning Day (End of Second Quarter)
30: K-8 Science Fair: 5:00-7:00 p.m..
This Week In…
EngageNY & Zearn
Module One: Place Value and Decimal Fractions
Topic F: Dividing decimals
• Lesson 15: Objective: Divide decimals using place value understanding, including remainders in the smallest unit.
• Lesson 16: Objective: Solve word problems using decimal operations.
Khan Academy: Topic F: Dividing decimals
Module 2: Multi-Digit Whole Number and Decimal Fraction Operations
Topic A: Mental Strategies for Multi-Digit Whole Number Multiplication
• Lesson 1 Objective: Multiply multi-digit whole numbers and multiples of 10 using place value patterns and the distributive and associative properties.
• Lesson 2 Objective: Estimate multi-digit products by rounding factors to a basic fact and using place value patterns.
Khan Academy: Topic A: Mental strategies for multi-digit whole number multiplication
Writing: Autobiography (Personal Narrative)
Focus: Topic sentences and transitions continued
What is the difference between showing and telling in your writing?
Begin writing an appropriate conclusion
Whole Class: I Am Malala
By Yousafzai Malala
PART ONE: BEFORE THE TALIBAN
5 Why I Don’t Wear Earrings and Pashtuns Don’t Say Thank You
6 Children of the Rubbish Mountain
7 The Mufti Who Tried to Close Our School
8 The Autumn of the Earthquake
Biography or Autobiography of your choice
Please bring a book from the Multnomah County Public Library, Winterhaven’s Library(Open from this week), home, borrow from a friend or sibling, or a book store.
• Systems Thinking- Ecology
• Black Soldier Fly Larvae Inquiries
Part 1: Background, Question with Independent Variable and Dependent Variable
Part 2: Design the Investigation: Materials List and Procedures
Part 3: Data (Table and Graph of data)
Part 4: Analysis and Conclusion
Lorax Project small group: Creating a new system, regenerative and sustainable, that makes the old system obsolete
Concepts: leverage, Archetypes; limits to growth and tragedy of the commons
Habits: Big picture, unintended consequences, a systems structure generates its behavior.
Tools: Behavior over time graphs, connection circles, causal loops
• Numbers 1-99
romaji (i•chi, ni, sa•n, yo•n, go, ro•ku, na•na, ha•chi, kyu•u, jyu•u)
あいうえお と かきくけこ
さしすせそ と たちつてと
なにぬねの と はひふへほ
• Conversation- brief self-introduction
• Is it okay if I go wash my hands?
• Is it okay if I get a drink of water?
• My phone number is
• How do you say “pen” in Japanese
• How do you say “pen” in English?