1.7: October 7-10, 2019
11: No School- Teacher In-service Day
12: Garden Work Party: Focus will be on trimming our native garden and improving our garden pathways. Bring your garden tools! Time: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.. Coffee in morning, pizza at noon!
30: Visit from Japan on the Road (9:00-11:30)
01: No School: Teacher Planning Day (End of First Quarter)
25: No School- Conferences (schedule is in the main office)
26: No School- Conferences (schedule is in the main office)
27-29: No School- Thanksgiving Break
6: OMSI Field Trip: Cow eye dissection, Movie-National Parks, and featured exhibit TBA. Transportation by Tri-met, bring a sack lunch. Cost: students $20, chaperones $15. Please pay using SchoolPay or by requesting a scholarship.
23: Winter Break Begins (December 21-January 5)
20: No School: MLK, Jr. Birthday celebrated (Born January 15, 1929)
27: No School: Teacher Planning Day (End of Second Quarter)
30: K-8 Science Fair: 5:00-7:00 p.m..
This Week In…
EngageNY & Zearn
Module 2: Multi-Digit Whole Number and Decimal Fraction Operations
Topic B: The Standard Algorithm for Multi-Digit Whole Number Multiplication
• Lesson 7 Objective: Connect area diagrams and the distributive property to partial products of the standard algorithm with renaming.
• Lesson 8 Objective: Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm and using estimation to check for reasonableness of the product.
• Lesson 9 Objective: Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm to solve multi-step word problems.
Writing: Autobiography (Personal Narrative)
Sharing our memoir’s with our audience using appropriate pitch, volume, pace, and emotion. You may share your best paragraph or entire memoir.
Step 1: preparation and practice (rehearsal)
Step 2: performance (read aloud)
Whole Class: I Am Malala
By Yousafzai Malala
Part Three: Finding My Voice
Please bring a book from the Multnomah County Public Library, Winterhaven’s Library, home, borrow from a friend or sibling, or a book store.
• Systems Thinking- Ecology
• Black Soldier Fly Larvae Inquiries
Part 1: Background, Question with Independent Variable and Dependent Variable
Part 2: Design the Investigation: Materials List and Procedures
Part 3: Data (Table and Graph of data)
Part 4: Analysis and Conclusion
Lorax Project small group: Creating a new system, regenerative and sustainable, that makes the old system obsolete.
Concepts: leverage, Archetypes; limits to growth and tragedy of the commons (understanding systems increases leverage, nature should do most of the work)
Habits: Big picture, unintended consequences, a systems structure generates its behavior.
Tools: Behavior over time graphs, connection circles, causal loops showing positive reinforcement and exponential growth.
1. Final group poster presentations
2. Final connection circle incorporating the elements to design a system of interdependent parts that at first regenerates then sustains its goals.
• Numbers 1-99
romaji (i•chi, ni, sa•n, yo•n, go, ro•ku, na•na, ha•chi, kyu•u, jyu•u)
あいうえお と かきくけこ と がぎぐげご
さしすせそ と たちつてと と ざじずぜぞ と だぢづでど
なにぬねの と はひふへほ と ばびぶべぼ と ぱぴぷぺぽ
• Conversation- brief self-introduction
• Is it okay if I go wash my hands?
• Is it okay if I get a drink of water?
• My phone number is
• How do you say “pen” in Japanese
• How do you say “pen” in English?
• My phone number is …
• What is this?