1.8: October 14-18, 2019
OMSI Field Trip:
Our December 6 OMSI field trip requires prepayment. Our cost is $20 for students and $15 for chaperones. Please pay in one of three ways; SchoolPay, a check made out to Winterhaven School, or by requesting a scholarship via email or just have your child let me know privately. Please pay by Thursday, October 31. I hope to send the payment to OMSI on Friday November 1.
30: Visit from Japan on the Road (9:00-11:30)
01: No School: Teacher Planning Day (End of First Quarter)
25: No School- Conferences (schedule is in the main office)
26: No School- Conferences (schedule is in the main office)
27-29: No School- Thanksgiving Break
6: OMSI Field Trip: Cow eye dissection, Movie-National Parks, and featured exhibit TBA. Transportation by Tri-met, bring a sack lunch.
23: Winter Break Begins (December 21-January 5)
20: No School: MLK, Jr. Birthday celebrated (Born January 15, 1929)
27: No School: Teacher Planning Day (End of Second Quarter)
30: K-8 Science Fair: 5:00-7:00 p.m..
This Week In…
EngageNY & Zearn
Module 2: Multi-Digit Whole Number and Decimal Fraction Operations
Topic C: Decimal Multi-Digit Multiplication
• Lesson 10 Objective: Multiply decimal fractions with tenths by multi-digit whole numbers using place value understanding to record partial products.
• Lesson 11 Objective: Multiply decimal fractions by multi-digit whole numbers through conversion to a whole number problem and reasoning about the placement of the decimal.
• Lesson 12 Objective: Reason about the product of a whole number and a decimal with hundredths using place value understanding and estimation.
Khan Academy: Topic C: Decimal multi-digit multiplication
Topic D: Measurement Word Problems with Whole Number and Decimal Multiplication
• Lesson 13 Objective: Use whole number multiplication to express equivalent measurements.
• Lesson 14 Objective: Use decimal multiplication to express equivalent measurements.
Khan Academy: Topic D: Measurement word problems with whole number and decimal multiplication
Writing: Autobiography (Personal Narrative)
Sharing our memoir’s with our audience using appropriate pitch, volume, pace, and emotion. You may share your best paragraph or entire memoir.
Step 1: preparation and practice (rehearsal)
Step 2: performance (read aloud)
Whole Class: I Am Malala
By Yousafzai Malala
The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure
– By Hans Magnus Enzensberger
Table of Contents
The First Night:
1. The importance of 1.
2. Fractions using 1
3. Creating all the whole numbers using only 1 (11×11=1 21)
4. Palindromes and other symmetrical patterns created (111×111=12321, 1111×1111=1234321).
Please bring a book from the Multnomah County Public Library, Winterhaven’s Library, home, borrow from a friend or sibling, or a book store.
Inquiry: Boats and floating objects
What determines (physical properties) whether something floats?
• Load vs volume ratio
Part one: Framing the investigation
Background Info, Question, and Hypothesis.
Creating several possible inquiries, choosing one, then
creating a hypothesis graph.
Enrichment: Chemical Recycling (poly-styrene)
what is a polymer?
Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss
Systems Thinking Concepts:
Archetypes-identifying and giving examples of tragedy of the commons and unintended consequences.
Systems Thinking Habits:
– Big picture- A systems thinker seeks to understand the Big Picture.
– A systems thinker knows that a systems structure generates its behavior
Systems Thinking Tools:
-Behavior over time graphs
-causal loops showing positive reinforcement and exponential growth
• Numbers 1-99
romaji (i•chi, ni, sa•n, yo•n, go, ro•ku, na•na, ha•chi, kyu•u, jyu•u)
あいうえお と かきくけこ と がぎぐげご
さしすせそ と たちつてと と ざじずぜぞ と だぢづでど
なにぬねの と はひふへほ と ばびぶべぼ と ぱぴぷぺぽ
• Conversation- brief self-introduction
• Is it okay if I go wash my hands?
• Is it okay if I get a drink of water?
• My phone number is
• How do you say “pen” in Japanese
• How do you say “pen” in English?
• My phone number is …
• What is this?
What time is it?
What month is it?
Song: UE WO MUITE ARUKOU by Kyuu Sakamoto