2.9: January 21-24, 2020
Fifth Grade Families,
A big thank you for the generous and thoughtful New Year’s gift card. First stop on the gift card tour is 鼎泰豐 (din tai feng) for some小籠包 (xiao long bao). みなさん ありがとうございますた！minasan arigatougozaimasu!
– Mr. Thompson
21: Science Fair Judging begins (January 21-23)
25: Chinese New Year 2020- The Year of the Rat
27: No School: Teacher Planning Day (End of Second Quarter)
30: K-8 Science Fair: 5:00-7:00 p.m..
17: No School: President’s Day
This week in…
Module 4: Multiplication and Division of Fractions and Decimal Fractions
Topic D: Fraction expressions and word problems
• Lesson 10 Objective: Compare and evaluate expressions with parentheses.
• Lesson 11 Objective: Solve and create fraction word problems involving addition, subtraction, and multiplication.
• Lesson 12 Objective: Solve and create fraction word problems involving addition, subtraction, and multiplication.
Khan Academy: Fraction expressions and word problems
Topic: Research- Biography of a plant
– research using internet, botany web sites
– research from books, Multnomah county Library
– citing sources and bibliography
The Watsons Go to Birmingham- 1963
by Christopher Paul Curtis
- Chapter 5: Nazi Parachutes Attack America
- Chapter 6: Swedish Cremes and Welfare Cheese
- Chapter 7: Every Chihuahua in America Lines Up to Take a Bite out of Byron
- Chapter 8: The Ultra-Glide!
- Chapter 9: The Watson’s Go to Birmingham- 1963
One minute speech: Biography of a plant
Speeches begin Wednesday, January 29
Focus: volume, pace, pitch, pronunciation
Socratic Seminar: I Have a Dream Speech
We the People: The Citizen and the Constitution
Unit Four: How Have the Values and Principles Embodied in the Constitution Shaped American Institutions and Practices?
Unit Five: What Rights Does the Bill of Rights Protect?
Unit Six: What Challenges Might Face American Constitutional Democracy in the Twenty-first Century?