3.8: March 30 – April 3, 2020
Updated: April 9, 2020
Hello fifth grade community,
We are Transitioning to google classroom using our google school username and password. This page will no longer be updated for the 2019- 2020 school year.
Please e-mail me for
1. Google Classroom Class Code
2. Google Hangout Code
THIS PAGE WILL NO LONG BE UPDATED.
Hello fifth graders, I cant wait to catch-up with you all either remotely or when we return to school at the end of next month. I’m sure you all have a lot to share and I know how creative you are and am sure you are finding fun things to do while staying safe. I will be receiving information from our district about a possible learning plan next week, hopefully on Monday. I will add updates to this page as soon as I hear anything.
Students: PLEASE E-MAIL ME ASAP. Type your first name and last name in the subject bar. I need to confirm that you are reading this web page.
email for class code
RECOMMENDED NOT REQUIRED
Remote self-directed learning plan and daily schedule put together by Mr. Thompson. Updated March 30, 2020. Please Access Google Classroom for updated schedule. Remember to set your own pace with the school work.
Updates from Portland Public Schools
Weekly schedule for Monday, March 30 to Friday, April 3
Optional: Make a cup of tea and listen to KMHD Jazz quietly (background music)
1. Independent Reading: Topic- Women in history, accomplishments, and authors.
2. Reading for learning and comprehension on NewsELA Read one article, either assigned by me or one selected by you and answer the four questions that follow.
3. Different Mirror (page 153, Banned by Law) (15 minutes)
4. Out of My Mind (page 71, chapter 9) (15 minutes)
Module 5: Addition and Multiplication with Volume and Area
Zearn Math: One lesson per day, lesson 7 for Monday, lesson 8 for Tuesday… Please do not work ahead on Zearn, go to Khan Academy Math when finished and work at your own pace, go ahead if you wish.
Topic B: Volume and the Operations of Multiplication and Addition
•Monday Lesson 7 Objective: Solve word problems involving the volume of rectangular prisms with whole number edge lengths.
• Tuesday Lesson 8 Objective: Apply concepts and formulas of volume to design a sculpture using rectangular prisms within given parameters.
• Wednesday Lesson 9 Objective: Apply concepts and formulas of volume to design a sculpture using rectangular prisms within given parameters.
Khan Academy: Volume and the operations of multiplication and addition (Khan can be used to in addition to Zearn for reinforcement of grade level concepts, students are welcome to work ahead on Khan Academy Math.)
Topic C: Area of Rectangular Figures with Fractional Side Lengths
• Thursday Lesson 10 Objective: Find the area of rectangles with whole-by-mixed and whole-by-fractional number side lengths by tiling, record by drawing, and relate to fraction multiplication.
•Friday Lesson 11 Objective: Find the area of rectangles with mixed-by-mixed and fraction-by-fraction side lengths by tiling, record by drawing, and relate to fraction multiplication.
Khan Academy: Area of rectangular figures with fractional side lengths
1. Continue working on 2045 creative writing assignment, 25 years into the future stories. (15 minutes)
2. Poetry- Start a poetry book including a variety of poetry genres; rhyming, free verse, limericks, narrative poems, concrete poems, humorous poems, haiku, haibun (set of five haiku sharing a common theme like winter, birds, flowers, friendship)
duolingo (Log in with google) (20- minutes per day)
1. Readings in Ecology from NewsEla (Week of March 30-April 3)
Finish Readings by April 3, Answer the questions that follow each reading.
• Nature’s Hierarchy
• What is the Circle of Life Exactly
• Nutrients of the Rainforest
• Using Scientific Models
2. Permaculture- (This is an optional project, the plan you create can come to action in one of our school gardens)
Permaculture Principles– Toby Hemenway
Three Sisters Guild– Toby Hemenway
Research Project & Action Plan:
After reading the articles and doing a little research…
-Design a garden incorporating permaculture principles, include companion planting, make sure plants serve multiple functions, and that your plan regenerates the earth/soil. Make sure your garden plan includes dimensions ( length, width, area) and fully explains how your garden will function as a community. Integrate don’t segregate! Diversity is a sign of resilience
Please bring in two identical plastic two-liter containers for our Ecology Unit when we return to school.