1.5: October 12-16, 2020
5: End of first quarter
6: Teacher planning day- No School
11: Veterans Day- No School
23-24: Conferences 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
Conference Sign Up Schedule
25-27: Thanksgiving break
19: Winter Vacation Begins
1: New Year’s Day- No School
18: Martin Luther King Jr. Day- No School
29: End of Second Quarter Planning- No School
THIS WEEK IN…
Directed Independent Reading
• October’s genre is autobiography/biography of a positive change maker.
Recommended- order and pick up at your Multnomah County Library branch
Book Study- I am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World
Part One. Before the Taliban
1. As Free as a Bird
3. A Magic Pencil
4. A Warning from God
5. The First Direct Threat
Part Two. A shadow over our valley
6. Radio Mullah
7. The Talaban in Swat
• questions and discussion will follow each chapter
• Word Skills: noun endings for spelling and understanding, editing for capitalization, spelling and grammar
• Proofreading practice
•Information article: Plant needs, yields, and interesting facts. Choosing a plant, native preferred, then begin research
Module 2: Multi-Digit Whole Number and Decimal Fraction Operations
- Topic A: Mental Strategies for Multi-Digit Whole Number Multiplication
Lesson 1 Objective: Multiply multi-digit whole numbers and multiples of 10 using place value patterns and the distributive and associative properties.
Lesson 2 Objective: Estimate multi-digit products by rounding factors to a basic fact and using place value patterns.
Khan Academy: Topic A: Mental strategies for multi-digit whole number multiplication
- Topic B: The Standard Algorithm for Multi-Digit Whole Number Multiplication
Lesson 3 Objective: Write and interpret numerical expressions and compare expressions using a visual model.
Lesson 4 Objective: Convert numerical expressions into unit form as a mental strategy for multi-digit multiplication.
Khan Academy: Topic B: The standard algorithm for multi-digit whole number multiplication
reading and writing the first 15 hiragana
•あいうえお （a, i, u, e, o) review
• かきくけこ （ka, ki, ku, ke, ko) review
• さしすせそ （sa, si, su, se, so) review
• たちつてと (ta, ti, tu, te, to) review
• なにぬねの (na, ni, nu, ne, no) new
Culture Topic: The Bullet Train (Shinkansen)
Irasshai topic: Apologizing